INDIVIDUALISM vs COLLECTIVISM
This was a very interesting topic
for me since I don't think I have given it much thought. I like to look for the
meanings of the words and terms because it helps me to get a better idea. What
is INDIVIDUALISM? It is the freedom to be independent and
self-reliant. According to Professor Ivers "In individualistic society,
they'll have tolerance for individual mistakes that may cause tragedy for the
group and just hope that doesn't happen again.
Now, what does it mean COLLECTIVISM? Without
looking in the dictionary I can see the root of this word and it means to
collect, to gather. In a culture it means to give priority to a group over each
individual in it. Professor Ivers says " In a group-oriented society, they
might have a little less tolerance for things that could hurt other members of
the group big time." To me it means to gather the interest of each
individual and give one main purpose as a group.
I assume that neither of them is
better than the other, but we should rather look for a balance to allow each
individual to think for himself and to be able to choose for himself with a one
focus to help others achieve the same and help one another. In a ESL classroom
we cannot withhold each person their own culture and experiences but we can
collect them and create a single purpose to help everyone learn and aim to
their individual goals.
Comments
Post a Comment