Culture and Psychology
It is so
mesmerizing to learn how culture affects the psychology of a individual and
even a group of people. We have learned how culture influences the way we
behave and act but now we are going to dig a little deeper. We are discussing
how it affects the way we think and feel.
As I
mentioned in my other post, I had the opportunity to meet a group of women from
Afghanistan. I am not very familiar with this culture, so I was paying close
attention to how the acted and to be mindful of my gestures and movements so
that I was not disrespectful to them.
I got
the opportunity to drive a mother and daughter to and from a n ESL class and
when I dropped them off, they invited me into their home. I wasn't sure what to
do so I politely declined their invitation because I had just met them, and I
was tired and wanted to go home but they insisted so I assumed that if I
declined again it might be offensive of my part to decline their kind
gesture.
It was a
bit strange for me because we had a bit of language barrier, but I am glad I
accepted. It was a short visit, and I was able to meet some of their family
members and to show pictures of my family. One thing that stood out from this
encounter was that when they asked me how many children I had I said four and
their response was "only four". I was shocked because I usually get the
opposite response of "wow, you have four! so many!"
I went
home and started reading a bit more about Afghanistan Culture and for women in
this culture it is very common to have at least 5-6 children and women do not
have much say about how many children to have. They consider birth control a
sin and so they believe to have as many children as Allah would give them. I
totally see new things in regards of psychology and culture and how they are
linked. I think this is important to learn not to make each other feel bad or
to argue who is better or right but to be more respectful and understanding of
our differences.
The kindness we show people will always bring a positive response. We have to have an open mind and suspend all judgement when working with people.
ReplyDelete