DIFFERENCE IN MANNERS
This topic is an extension of
those cultural differences. We behave in different ways depending on where we
are and who we are with. Manners are polite and courteous way we act with
others around us. What may be polite in USA it may be rude or disrespectful in
other countries.
In a multiculturalism
classroom, these differences can create misunderstandings. I recently
volunteered in a ESL for an organization called UNDANTED WOMEN. This class was
created to help those immigrant women that are here as refugees. Most of the
women are from Afghanistan, and it was so peculiar to see their public
behavior. One of the volunteers was a man and he felt out of place and saw them
feeling uncomfortable so he decided to leave so the women would feel more
comfortable. He said it was strange to greet them and they wouldn't either talk
to him or look at him. He understood but I wonder if it still made him feel
uncomfortable to know the made them feel uncomfortable.
This made me think of what things do I do or say that may make others feel uncomfortable? I think that as a teachers we must take the time to help students to recognize those differences and find ways to be mindful and respectful.
Comments
Post a Comment